Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obsession


I have come to the conclusion that I am obsessed. Note to self: mother has obsessive compulsive tendencies -- can't stay away from Home Shopping Network or QVC. The UPS man knows her by name, since at least one package a day gets delivered to her home. Could those tendencies have come from her? Hmmm..... Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I was at my favorite yarn store knitting with some of the women who were making a bobble purse. We were absently talking about kids, husbands, work, you know, the usual, when I said I should find a project for all of the yarn under my bed. Slowly, all eyes were directed toward me. What? What had I said? Don't you have yarn stashed around waiting to be knit into cute little sweaters, mittens, hats or gloves? "No," one woman said. "I buy the yarn for the project I am planning, finish the project, then go on to the next one." "You only work on one project at a time?" I inquired. The answer was slow and deliberate. "Why, yes. Don't you?"

Now, I have met quite a few knitters since my reintroduction into the enticingly soft and delightful world of Yarnia. Most of them have several projects going on at the same time. Yet, I am the odd (wo)man out in this instance. I start thinking about all of my abandoned projects, my neglected yarn, so forlorn, lonely and dejected. There are two large plastic boxes filled with yarn in all varieties, textures and colors -- hidden, for my own selfish desires -- under my bed, not very unlike a pirate with his secret treasure trove carefully stowed in a trunk and hidden in some dark and mysterious cave. Whenever I encounter a store that sells yarn, I walk through the proverbial armoire into the land of Yarnia, where my hands touch, caress, even stroke each and every lovely skein. I can't help myself. I am weak. I know it. Compelled by some unforeseen force, I purchase some and greedily bring it home, opening my "booty" trunk and quickly stuff it into the box, so no one but me can enjoy the bounty of my stash.

I love color. I love texture. I am obsessed with it. I can't help myself. When I find the right project for each of my little treasures of yarn, I will knit it up. But until then, I will secretly continue to savor each moment as I open my trunks of treasure and dream of the day every one of them with have a purpose more glorious than my obsessive, greedy little self.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this site! Please write more. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your site. I am not even a knitter, but I couldn't help but stop and read your story. I loved it and thought that if I
didn't have two left hands, I might take a crack at it. I hope you keep this up.