Monday, April 27, 2009

The Light Bulb


If you haven't read my blog from the beginning, then you don't know how I got into this obsession that now encompasses my whole world ... knitting. I picked up my first pair of knitting needles about 19 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. Never finishing a project and sporadically knitting more off than on over the next 17 years, I let life take me along on my thoroughly busy and sometimes chaotic journey of husband, kids and other such cables and bobbles of life.

I guess I must digress at this point to let you know that although not technically diagnosed as ADD, I might be what other people would call a "flibbertygibbet", perhaps, flighty, interested in everything, unable to finish anything, you know what I'm getting at. Now as for me, I like to think that my personality stems from being born under the astrological sign of Aquarius. The main features of this sign are more along of the lines of "independent", "creative" and "free-spirited". Now, doesn't that sound better? I know it makes me feel good.

So, back to the matter at hand. As my children have grown and become somewhat more independent, I have reached out to find something that is uniquely "me". I love to read, but my husband hates it, because when I get involved in a book, everything else around me fades to black. So the word unresponsive here is more than applicable. I've tried various sports, because my husband is very athletic, but let's just say that the hand/eye coordination thing is non-functional in me. So, in order to prevent myself from stuffing my face with food when I am in bed at night, I turned to knitting, because, as you well know, it takes two hands to knit, and two busy hands knitting cannot also be putting food in your mouth. Problem solved! Well, not really. While food is no longer an obsession, yarn and knitting is.

The main issue with all of this knitting and how it has encompassed my life is my family has now confirmed to themselves that I am certifiable. My kids don't understand it, my husband doesn't understand it, but because this is the only thing I have stuck with, he supports me in this obsession. So over the last two years, can you imagine the amount of books and magazines that have made their way (very stealthily, I may add) into my home? Last week, my husband was in his (ah-hemm) "office" and picked up a copy of Vogue Knitting. Hence, the "light bulb" moment. My husband finally gets it! Not only is he excited about my yarn stash and knitting abilities, but he is encouraging me to teach others to knit, and "while you're at it, why don't you start an on-line store or sell yarn to your friends?" Could my ears be deceiving me? Did I hear him right? Oh the joys! The ecstasy! I can hear the angelic strains from on high!

I must go now. I have to start looking for new yarns............

No comments: